The statistics are alarming, to say the least!
- Several chronic conditions can be controlled and avoided with healthy lifestyle and exercise, including: cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, infertility, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, stress, and many more -- yet all are on the rise in America.
- More than 70% of adults across the United States have been diagnosed with a chronic disease and more than 75% of the nation’s healthcare cost is being spent on managing and treating these conditions.
- The treatment of the seven most common chronic diseases, coupled with productivity losses, costs the U.S. economy more than $1 trillion dollars annually.
- Americans are the biggest consumer of weight loss products (80%) in the world, yet still lead the world in obesity and unhealthy lifestyle.
- The percentage of American children and adolescents who are considered overweight or obese has tripled since 1970.
- Columbia University researchers project that there will be $48 – $66 billion added to current health care costs each year between now and 2030.
- Being overweight is a real problem- 250 million Americans fall into this category and 360,000 Americans die every year from diseases directly related to obesity and unhealthy lifestyle.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death among men and women in the US, despite that it can be dramatically improved by simple healthy lifestyle practices.
- 25% of US children spend 4 hours or more watching TV daily instead of being physically active.
- It is predicted that this generation of children will be the first to live shorter lives than their parents, despite advances in medicine.
- Several chronic conditions can be controlled and avoided with healthy lifestyle and exercise, including: cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, infertility, hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, stress, and many more (bears repeating!).
“You have more control over your body than you think- you can control, manage, or completely avoid 60-70% of known chronic conditions with physical fitness, healthy nutrition, and mental balance.” – Samir Becic
Take this opportunity to watch "Food Matters" and "Hungry for Change" and empower yourself to increase the likelihood that you will be one of those that avoid these chronic conditions!